[ECOS] Using a different Standard C library.

tmm tmm@fastmail.fm
Thu Dec 20 08:03:00 GMT 2007

Some of the eCos packages that I'm using require the Standard C library
so I've included the CYGPKG_ISOINFRA (ISO C & POSIX Infrastructure)
package and several of the CPYPKG_LIBC_* packages.

But, I would rather use a different C library: the one that comes with
my Code Sorcery ARM compiler.  Though this is not the normal eCos way, I
assume that it is not too unusual.  But how is this typically done?

I will probably continue to make my eCos library using the eCos C
library headers.  But I would hack the makefiles so that the source code
for the C library packages doesn't get included in the my projects'
library.  In place of the eCos C library code I would link in my own C
library when I link my applications.  (When I write 'my own' C library I
mean the compiler's.)

The tricky part of this is the 'ISO C & POSIX Infrastructure' package.
This contains a mix of code that I do need (the POSIX stuff) and code
that will be provided by my C library.

Perhaps instead I should take the code of my C library and replace the
eCos C library code with it (and make corresponding changes to the
package definitions)?

Thanks for any suggestions,
Tom.