[ECOS] GPL violation ?

Andrew Lunn andrew@lunn.ch
Thu Aug 30 14:28:00 GMT 2007

> It has and ARM processor where the firmare runs..
> I'm developing a driver for it, on Linux OS, to properly initialize
> the device, the driver has to upload the firmware in the device RAM.
> The  firmware I used is from the BSD package.
> You can find it here
>  http://www.nazgul.ch/malo/malo-firmware-1.0.tgz

I disassembled the startup code and compared it to the
arm/arch/current/src/vectors.S.  It looks like it is a RAM startup
eCos image.

As another poster pointed out, the exception to the GPL means that you
can only ask for the eCos sources and any code derived from the eCos
sources, eg there HAL packages, probably there serial port driver,
flash driver, etc.

It is unlikely they have used eCos code when writing there
"application" code, ie what actually drives the WLAN MAC. So it is
unlikely you can get that code.

So if you want to run "hello world" on there WLAN hardware, you
shouldn't have a problem.

If you want to write your own firmware to drive the WLAN hardware they
can at least get a basic working eCos as a foundation for you to write
your own firmware for the WLAN hardware.

  Andrew