[ECOS] Re: OpenSSH Port for eCos?

Hans Hübner hans.huebner@junger-audio.com
Fri Sep 29 14:59:00 GMT 2006

On 9/29/06, Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> wrote:
> OpenSSH makes little sense (Open Secure SHell) as there is no notion
> of a 'shell' in eCos.  One could run the Secure FTP protocol, but not
> using OpenSSH, per se.

The fact that OpenSSH has its name from Unix does not make the concept
of a remote terminal useless to a system like eCos.  Command line
interfaces (CLIs) are very useful with embedded systems, too.  It
would be just great to have a SSH protocol implementation available
that could be used for secure remote access to such CLIs.

The fact that eCos does not come with a CLI framework is also not what
I´d call a strength.  We are using a home-grown CLI written in
Javascript, but our interface can only be accessed using the serial
port.  There is a port of tcl which can be used to implement custom
CLIs.  Both of them would benefit from a SSH server framework in order
to allow for remote access.  We are not suffering enough to port
OpenSSH to eCos, though.

-Hans