[ECOS] changing MAC address

Jacek Poplawski jacek.poplawski@s3group.com
Tue Sep 26 11:03:00 GMT 2006

I was able to make 82545GM ethernet functional in Redboot, I am now able
to ping or load file via tftp.
Now I want to make it possible to set MAC address from Redboot, because
in the initial state of hardware - MAC address is filled with 00's.

What is the best way to change MAC address of ethernet controller from
the command line of Redboot?

Intel 82544 driver contains function "set_mac_address" and it is used in
ioctl handler, but:
1) it doesn't write to EEPROM, so it changes MAC address only for a
while - am I right?
2) MAC address is read during the network initialization in RedBoot,
even if I change it from command line, I will need to ask for BOOTP
again, right?

--
Jacek Poplawski
Software Engineer

The information contained in this e-mail and in any attachments is confidential and is designated solely for the attention of the intended recipient(s). If you are not an intended recipient, you must not use, disclose, copy, distribute or retain this e-mail or any part thereof. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete all copies of this e-mail from your computer system(s).
Please direct any additional queries to: communications@s3group.com.
Thank You.