[ECOS] Making eCos Configuration Tool on FreeBSD 6.1

Jack Twilley jmt@twilley.org
Mon Sep 25 20:58:00 GMT 2006

Andrew Lunn wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 23, 2006 at 10:51:47PM -0700, Jack Twilley wrote:
>> So I'm trying to build the eCos configuration tool on my FreeBSD 6.1
>> system and I'm running into some interesting issues.  It seems like the
>> entire tcl/Tk detection system is either ancient, broken, or not written
>> to take into account how FreeBSD stores stuff.
>>
>> Is it worth my time to change configure.in to support FreeBSD?  Or are
>> there other similar issues littered through the code?  Please tell me I
>> am not tilting at windmills expecting this to work.  Thanks!
>
> Could you be a bit more specific?

The work I mentioned has already been done, as you pointed out.  The
ecos-tool port is already in ports, and I've installed it.  Only one
snag in using it that I can see -- it assumes "make" is GNU make.  How
can I tell it to use "gmake" instead?

> We know that the autodetection does not always work. As it says in
> README.host on some systems its necassary to pass something like
> --with-tcl=/usr/ -with-tcl-version=8.4 to get it to build. I need this
> for my Debain system. However once this is done ecosconfig compiles
> without problems.

This just works with the port for what it's worth.

> I also remember somebody else is using FreeBSD for the host. Maybe
> there is some useful information in the email archives?
>
> Also, a quick google found me:
>
> http://www.freshports.org/devel/ecos-tools/
>
> It looks rather old, but not much has changed in the config tools
> lately.
>
>         Andrew

Thanks!

Jack.