[ECOS] Port eCos Redboot Olimex LPC2294 to Embest LPCEB2000 (lpc2292)

Sergei Gavrikov sg@sgs.gomel.by
Mon Sep 18 12:31:00 GMT 2006

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006, Miklos.Pflancer@dBResearch.co.uk wrote:

> Hi Segei
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> I have taken your advice and used the olpch2294 as the base for my HAL port.
>
> I have now got a Redboot prompt on my console. However I have the following error
>
> +FLASH: driver init failed: Driver does not support device
> Sorry, FLASH config exceeds available space in FIS directory
>
> RedBoot(tm) bootstrap and debug environment [ROM]
> Non-certified release, version UNKNOWN - built 11:37:54, Sep 18 2006
>
> Platform: Embest LPCEB2000 development board (ARM7TDMI)
> Copyright (C) 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 Red Hat, Inc.
> Copyright (C) 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 eCosCentric Limited
>
> RAM: 0x81000000-0x81080000, [0x81006f20-0x8107d000] available
> FLASH: 0x00000000 - 0x1, 0 blocks of 0x00000000 bytes each.
> RedBoot>

I think, it's normal. My redboot_ROM.ecm config for olpch2294 contains
support for an Intel 28F320C3 part:

  	package -hardware CYGPKG_DEVS_FLASH_INTEL_28FXXX v1_0 ;
  	cdl_option CYGHWR_DEVS_FLASH_INTEL_28F320C3 {
  	    inferred_value 1
  	};

but, it looks like that's unneeded for your hardware. You have to write
own flash package instead my CYGPKG_DEVS_FLASH_ARM_OLPCH2294 and remove
the reference on these things from your own target:

  	CYGPKG_DEVS_FLASH_INTEL_28FXXX
  	CYGPKG_DEVS_FLASH_ARM_OLPCH2294

But just now, build own minimal RedBoot image and the redboot_ROM.ecm
file for own hardware (without Flash support):

  	ecosconfig new <your_target_name> redboot
  	cat >redboot_ROM.ecm<<__eof
  	cdl_component CYG_HAL_STARTUP {user_value ROM};
  	__eof
  	ecosconfig import redboot_ROM.ecm
  	ecosconfig resolve
  	ecosconfig export redboot_ROM.ecm
  	ecosconfig tree
  	make

With such a command set, you'll build minimal redboot.elf (without FIS
support).  Burn and use it, and don't forget to copy that exported
`redboot_ROM.ecm' file in your `misc' directory to use it a long while.

> At the moment I only want to have driver support for the processors internal flash. How do I achieve this?

So far, it's better to hold the RedBoot there (i.e. in the on-chip flash
memory) and using the RedBoot, load your apps in RAM via x/y modem or
using a GDB. Next what you have to achive, it's to setup up the FIS for
your external flash memory parts. If you are sorry about rest of the
on-chip flash place now, in fact, when you'll finish a debugging your
application in RAM, you'll be able to place its code in the on-chip
flash memory then.

Sergei