[ECOS] Port eCos Redboot Olimex LPC2294 to Embest LPCEB2000 (lpc2292)

Sergei Gavrikov sg@sgs.gomel.by
Sat Sep 16 16:57:00 GMT 2006

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006, Miklos wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am trying to port Redboot to an Embest LPCEB2000. I am using the Olimex
> H2294 port as the base. The main diferences between them are
>                   Embest                    Olimex
> Ext SRAM         256kx16                256kx32
> Ext Flash            1Mx16                    2Mx16
> Ethernet            none                            yes
> LCD                none                            yes
> uP                    lpc2292                    lpc2294

Here you pointed on Olimex LPC-E2294 HW things. That board does have
Ethernet controller and LCD display. In reality, it's better to use eCos
HAL for the Olimex LPC-H2294 board as start point. It is a simple header
board which contains the external SRAM (1Mb) and external Intel flash
(4Mb) parts only. Use OLPH2294 eCos HAL as prototype to get eCos for
your board.  There are the ecos packages for the some Olimex LPC2294
based boards there: http://sgs.gomel.by/sg/downloads/olimex/prebuilt.
Get olpch2294-1.0.epk from an olpch2294 folder.

> I changed the linker script to reflect the external ram diference (target.ld
> and the rom.ldi file)
>
> I have edited the hal_platform_setup.h, registers BCFG0,1 and PINSEL2 values
> changed for my board

I suggest to care about SRAM bus timing values, the Olimex LPC-H2294
board does have fast 12nS external SRAM, but possible you have more slow
memory, therefore, check WST1, WST2, RBLE values for your this one. Be
sure what you set bus wide properly too.

> I removed ethernet drivers using the configtool
>
> I have edited the mlt_arm_lpc2xxxxolpce2294_rom.h  for my ram size

More code, more mistakes, re-engine your work. Use the olpch2294 HAL.
It has less of code lines than the olpce2294 HAL.

> I have changed the clock and pll multiplier (10Mhz x 6) using the configtool

To do new HAL port with the configtool isn't good idea ;). Setup own
entry in $ECOS_REPOSITORY/hal/arm/lpc2xxx/<your short target name>. Copy
there the olpch2294 HAL files, rename some of them properly and register
your own target in eCos database ($ECOS_REPOSITORY/ecos.db). Then you
will be able to use the configtool for your target as you do it as well.

> However Redboot does not work. I have checked with scope to see if the Uart
> is transmitting at the wrong
> baud rate, but there is no activity on bootup

You have to be able to run the less complex things than RedBoot before.
You have to know what your HAL code works as you expect. SRAM and UART
are only 2 HW parts which need to run the RedBoot.

> Are there any other changes that I need to make?

I don't know about your flash parts too. Possible, you will need in own
flash driver too, may be, there is not a needed thing in the
$ECOS_REPOSITOTY/devs/flash/* branches. Greep ecos.db to kwnow it.

There is the bestseller for every eCos newcomer:
http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/ref/hal-porting-guide.html on
eCos official web site.

Sergei