[ECOS] newbie qn about eCos integral types

Bart Veer bartv@ecoscentric.com
Wed Oct 18 21:42:00 GMT 2006

    Steve> I'm trying to understand the intended application of the
    Steve> two different styles of eCos integral types Basically how /
    Steve> when should I use the cyg_(u)intXX series of definitions,
    Steve> and how / when should I use the cyg_(u)countXX series of
    Steve> definitions.

    Steve> eg. when should I use cyg_uint8 instead of cyg_ucount8 and
    Steve> vice-versa?

    Steve> The notes surrounding the defintions in cyg_type.h say that
    Steve> the cyg_(u)intXX series are for use with "memory and
    Steve> strutures". Ok that makes sense when you look at the
    Steve> typedef, but..

    Steve> The comments for the cyg_(u)countXX series are that they
    Steve> are for "using integers in registers for looping and the
    Steve> like" The part regarding registers confuses me, since I
    Steve> would have thought that a fixed width integer (aka) the
    Steve> cyg_(u)intXX series are the most appropriate for accessing
    Steve> *fixed width* registers.

    Steve> Can anyone add a little more ligth here?

These types date back to the very early days of eCos, and were
intended to allow the system to run on 16-bit and 64-bit processors as
well as 32-bit ones. Consider two processors: a 16-bit one where both
short and int are 2 bytes, a long is 4 bytes, and 16-bit operations
are more efficient than 32-bit ones; and a 32-bit processor where a
short is two bytes, both int and long are 4 bytes, and 32-bit
arithmetic is more efficient than 16-bit.

On the 16-bit processor we will have:

    typedef unsigned int   cyg_uint16;
    typedef unsigned int   cyg_ucount16;
    typedef unsigned long  cyg_uint32;
    typedef unsigned long  cyg_ucount32;

On the 32-bit processor we will have:

    typedef unsigned short cyg_uint16;
    typedef unsigned int   cyg_ucount16;
    typedef unsigned int   cyg_uint32;
    typedef unsigned int   cyg_ucount32;

On both processors cyg_uint16 is exactly 16 bits and cyg_uint32 is
exactly 32 bits. Hence those data types can be used reliably for
describing hardware, for defining network protocols, etc.

However cyg_ucount16 is 16 bits on the 16-bit processor and 32 bits on
the 32-bit processor. In both cases cyg_ucount16 is the most efficient
data type that provides at least the specified number of bits. In the
context of a loop:

    for (i = 0; i < 32768; i++) {
    }

If i has type cyg_uint16 then that would be optimal on the 16-bit
processor but not on the 32-bit one. If i has type cyg_uint32 then
that would be optimal on the 32-bit processor but not the 16-bit one.
If i has type cyg_ucount16 then that would be optimal on both
processors.

Unfortunately all of the initial eCos ports were to 32-bit processors.
Hence a lot of existing eCos code and APIs uses cyg_uint32 when it
should really be using cyg_ucount16 or cyg_ucount32.

Bart

--
Bart Veer                       eCos Configuration Architect