[ECOS] problem with __CTOR_END and __CTOR_LIST

Gary Thomas gary@mlbassoc.com
Wed Oct 4 16:52:00 GMT 2006

Claudio Di Vittorio wrote:
> hi everyone.
> I'm currently developing a project on a custom ixp460
> based board; this board has been designed following
> the
> scheme of ixdp465 (with some differences); now i have
> prepare a working image of redboot, running from
> flash,
> to powerup and bootup the board; redboot must only
> work as a bootloader.
>
> I've already modified some .h, entering the correct
> memory layout, flash size ecc.
> My board is not equipped with FPGA,LED  and with CPLD,
> so i disabled that part of code.
>
> I'm not equipped with a JTAG emulator; i'm just
> programming ever time the flash memory....
>
> when i bootup the board i see that hardware init
> sequence seems to be succesful. After that the board
> print out (on serial port) a long string and then
> everything freeze; the string is:
>
> $O5B53696D322068616C5F6D6973635D20496E766F6B65640A#CD
>
> Following the assembly code in vectors.S, and adding
> some debug messages (using  diag_printf ) i've seen
> that the bootup stops BEFORE calling cyg_start;
> the problem occurs in call to:
>
> cyg_hal_invoke_constructors
>
> following that function i see that when the program
> tries to access __CTOR_END_ and __CTOR_LIST_
> everything
> stops working.
>
> I'm using configtool 2.11 and the GNU utils given by
> Intel in their web site.
>
> Does anybody can give me some help about this?
> Or can someone explain me something better on that
> error?

It's not an error, just a message that got printed using the
GDB protocol.  It says:
   '[Sim2 hal_misc] Invoked'

BTW, the attached program will decode these strings for you.
I use it all the time :-)  Just run it like this:
   % python decode_gdb.py '$O5B53696D322068616C5F6D6973635D20496E766F6B65640A#CD'