[ECOS] Red Hat and FSF Copyrights

Jonathan Larmour jifl@eCosCentric.com
Thu Nov 23 00:03:00 GMT 2006

Mark Salter wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-11-22 at 20:41 +0000, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
>
>>Mark Salter wrote:
>>
>>>Even so, any reason why we can't go ahead and change the copyright
>>>notices from "(c) Red Hat" to "(c) FSF"?
>>
>>Theoretically none, except to be accurate, many should retain the (C)
>>eCosCentric.
>

> Sure. I was only suggesting s/Red Hat/FSF and leave the other copyright
> notices as they are. I have been sitting on some changes for a long time
> but I don't want to check them in until the repository is changed from
> Red Hat to FSF.

Oh ok, I didn't realise that, or that anything would depend on it. It will
mean touching every file in the repository, taking care to preserve
copyright years (or is it only particular files you are concerned with?).
And most would need touching again after the eCosCentric assignment
completes. But some of the harder parts I can leave till the eCosCentric
bit happens. Till then, I can just pretty much do s/Red Hat/Free Software
Foundation/

I'm unlikely to be able to do this tomorrow, but might be able to over the
weekend, or next week (the job itself is easy - checking for corner cases
will take longer).

A related issue I should resolve at the same time is RedBoot's startup
banner, which should be brought into compliance with 2c of the GPL:

"    c) If the modified program normally reads commands interactively
     when run, you must cause it, when started running for such
     interactive use in the most ordinary way, to print or display an
     announcement including an appropriate copyright notice and a
     notice that there is no warranty (or else, saying that you provide
     a warranty) and that users may redistribute the program under
     these conditions, and telling the user how to view a copy of this
     License.  (Exception: if the Program itself is interactive but
     does not normally print such an announcement, your work based on
     the Program is not required to print an announcement.)"

Since RedBoot already has an appropriate banner, and doubly so since it
includes copyrights, this should be done (and should have been done a long
time ago really).