[ECOS] Request clarification about interrupt in RedBoot and eCos

Andrew Lunn andrew@lunn.ch
Tue Nov 21 22:08:00 GMT 2006

On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 04:47:39PM -0500, Wendell Liu wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm getting into the eCos world and made the first cut working on the SuperH
> environment. Since I only have 32k rom, I can't use the RedBoot (too big),
> so I have to develop bootrom by myself, at least to get interrupt & UART
> working. I searched the website and got some information about RedBoot, but
> I'm confused too. Someone please clarify the following questions for me?
> Thank you very much in advance!
>
> - Does RedBoot use interrupt? Some discusses said RedBoot never use
> interrupt.

Correct, Redboot should not use interrupts.

> - I checked my RedBoot.sym, it does include cyg_drv_interrupt_create(...)
> etc. functions. Are these functions used for UART or Ethernet?
> - I checked my application .sym too, it only contains normal
> cyg_interrupt_create(...) etc. functions. I'm just curious why RedBoot uses
> cyg_drv_interrupt_create(...), while the eCos uses
> cyg_interrupt_create(...)?

The kernel package provides cyg_interrupt_*(), however RedBoot does
not use the kernel package.

Drivers should use the cyg_drv_* functions which will always exist,
independent of if the kernel package is loaded or not.

Do you actually need a bootloader? Why not just use a ROM application
and a JTAG programmer?

    Andrew