[ECOS] moving RedBoot config from one device to another - is "dd" enough?

Gary Thomas gary@mlbassoc.com
Wed Nov 15 14:23:00 GMT 2006

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> Andrew Lunn wrote:
>> Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
>
> (...)
>
>>> If I do this on a "master" device (Linux already started):
>>>
>>> # /dev/mtd3 is a "RedBoot config" partition
>>> dd if=/dev/mtd3 of=new-redboot-config
>>>

>>> And then, on the devices I want to reconfigure (Linux already started):
>>>
>>> dd if=new-redboot-config of=/dev/mtd3
>>>

>>> Will this work properly? Will the new device have its starting
>>> sequence changed to:
>>>
>>> RedBoot> fis load kern2
>>> RedBoot> exec
>>>
>>> ?
>>>
>>> Perhaps, I should use something like "erase /dev/mtd3 0 12 1" first?
>>>

>> The basic concept is O.K. Im not familiar with mtd,  so i've no idea
>> if you need to erase  the block first, or if writing to it will
>> automagically erase it.
>
> I needed to erase it before writing the kernel, so perhaps it's similar
> with RedBoot config.
>
> Or maybe, there are some tools to manipulate the RedBoot config, without
> actually starting RedBoot / using "fconfig"?

You should be able to telnet into the box to the RedBoot command line,
before Linux gets booted.

Manipulating the 'fconfig' database is tricky.  There was some discussion
of this in the past on this list - try searching the archives.