[ECOS] moving RedBoot config from one device to another - is "dd" enough?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo@wpkg.org
Wed Nov 15 14:15:00 GMT 2006

Andrew Lunn wrote:
> Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:

(...)

>> If I do this on a "master" device (Linux already started):
>>
>> # /dev/mtd3 is a "RedBoot config" partition
>> dd if=/dev/mtd3 of=new-redboot-config
>>

>> And then, on the devices I want to reconfigure (Linux already started):
>>
>> dd if=new-redboot-config of=/dev/mtd3
>>

>> Will this work properly? Will the new device have its starting
>> sequence changed to:
>>
>> RedBoot> fis load kern2
>> RedBoot> exec
>>
>> ?
>>
>> Perhaps, I should use something like "erase /dev/mtd3 0 12 1" first?
>>

> The basic concept is O.K. Im not familiar with mtd,  so i've no idea  if
> you need to erase  the block first, or if writing to it will
> automagically erase it.

I needed to erase it before writing the kernel, so perhaps it's similar
with RedBoot config.

Or maybe, there are some tools to manipulate the RedBoot config, without
actually starting RedBoot / using "fconfig"?

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org