[ECOS] moving RedBoot config from one device to another - is "dd" enough?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo@wpkg.org
Wed Nov 15 14:00:00 GMT 2006

I have a device, that has these partitions:

Creating 5 MTD partitions on "IXP4XX-Flash.0":
0x00000000-0x00040000 : "RedBoot"
0x00080000-0x00200000 : "kern1"
0x00200000-0x00380000 : "kern2"
0x003c0000-0x003e0000 : "RedBoot config"
0x003e0000-0x00400000 : "FIS directory"

and by default it starts Linux like below:

RedBoot> fis load kern1
RedBoot> exec -c "console=ttyS0,115200 root=/dev/hda1"

I made a new kernel, and wrote it to "kern2" partition, and start it
like that:

RedBoot> fis load kern2
RedBoot> exec

To do such changes in RedBoot, I have to unscrew/open the device,
connect a serial port to the device, and use "fconfig" to make the changes.

Now, I have to replicate this change to dozens of other devices.

As a human being is a lazy creature, I believe there is an easier way to
do it than a boring opening the device, connecting a serial port,
"fconfig" to make RedBoot changes etc.

So let's say I have a "master" device (properly configured), and the
devices I need to reconfigure.

If I do this on a "master" device (Linux already started):

# /dev/mtd3 is a "RedBoot config" partition
dd if=/dev/mtd3 of=new-redboot-config

And then, on the devices I want to reconfigure (Linux already started):

dd if=new-redboot-config of=/dev/mtd3

Will this work properly? Will the new device have its starting sequence
changed to:

RedBoot> fis load kern2
RedBoot> exec

?

Perhaps, I should use something like "erase /dev/mtd3 0 12 1" first?

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org