[ECOS] Limitations with the SNTP client?

Andre-John Mas ajmas@sympatico.ca
Tue Nov 7 23:09:00 GMT 2006

Hi,

After analysing the packets I noticed that the data being sent from
my reference client were shorter than the one sent from the eCos
SNTP client. Looking at RFC 2030 it turns out that difference in
length is to do with the 'KeyIdentifier' and the 'Message Digest',
both of which are optional.

I confirmed with another client (MacOS X) that it worked too
with the Solaris server. MacOS X also omits the 'KeyIdentifier' and
the 'Message Digest' in the request.

Changing the SNTP client on eCos to also omit those fields resulted
in a response from the SNTP server on the Solaris machine. Linux
probably handles nulled filled values for these two fields, whereas
Solaris seems to consider them invalid.

Given this observation and the fact that they are even set to anything by eCos, is there any reason for including them in the
NTP_PACKET
structure?

Andre