[ECOS] Re: RedBoot "set MAC address" API?

Gary Thomas gary@mlbassoc.com
Mon Nov 6 12:16:00 GMT 2006

Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2006-11-05, Grant Edwards <grante@visi.com> wrote:

>>> This seems to work:
>>>

>>> __local_enet_sc->funs->control(__local_enet_sc,ETH_DRV_SET_MAC_ADDRESS,mac_address,sizeof mac_address);
>>>
>> I was wrong, that doesn't work.  It changes the MAC address in
>> the MAC, but the networks stack doesn't seem to know it's been
>> changed, so ARP replies have the wrong MAC address in them. :(
>>

> Also setting __local_enet_addr fixed that problem.

The RedBoot stack wasn't really designed with dynamic changes like this
in mind :-), hence the
obscurity.

>>> How is the MAC address supposed to be set initially?
>>>

> AFAICT, RedBoot expects the Ethernet MAC driver to know what
> MAC to use without any "application" layer help.  How is the
> driver supposed to know what MAC address to use?

Most drivers use 'fconfig' data for this which allows for backup
[default] values, as we as user supplied
values stored in FLASH [or EEPROM].