[ECOS] Adding redboot commands or parameters results in ROM image that won't run (but RAM image that will).

Dave Rensberger dave@thingmagic.com
Fri Mar 10 20:35:00 GMT 2006

Hi,

I'm having a very strange problem with redboot running on an Intel
IXP425 platform (I'm using the v1.92 release that Intel adapted for
use with the ixdp425).

I'm trying to add some new commands to the CLI using the
local_cmd_entry() macro.  This works fine when I build a RAM based
image, but results in a ROM based image that doesn't get very far
before it stops running (I don't see any output at all on the
console).    If I remove one of the existing commands, and and my new
one, everything works fine.   This suggests to me that I'm hitting
some sort of space limitation that is only relevant to the ROM based
image.   Since the local_cmd_entry() macro appears to really just
statically declare a data structure, it seems to me that I'm probably
just exceeding some pre-defined boundary for the data segment
(although it seems odd to me that this doesn't result in a link error
or warning).  Unfortunately, I don't see any obvious way to increase
this in any of the files that are used to set up the memory layout.

Can anyone tell me whether my analysis of the situation seems sound
or not, and what I might try to adjust to resolve my problem?

Thanks
--Dave

Dave Rensberger - Project Engineer
ThingMagic, Inc., One Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142
Tel: 617-682-3784
Cell: 617-834-6425