[ECOS] configure and cross compilation

Gary Thomas gary@mlbassoc.com
Wed Jul 12 13:05:00 GMT 2006

Jacek Poplawski wrote:
> I am trying to compile CVS version of ecos/RedBoot.
>
> How to specify which toolchain configure should use?
> I tried that way:
>
> ../ecos/configure --target=xscale-elf
>
> But used compiler name is still "gcc", not "xscale-elf-gcc".
> Should I make symbolic links?
>
> Could you point me to the documentation describing how to compile current
> version of RedBoot?

This is not how you build an eCos application [RedBoot is just
such an eCos application]

The basic steps are:
   0.1 Set up your [cross-development] tool chain
   0.2 Set up 'ecosconfig' and/or 'configtool'
       These steps need to be executed only once.  More information can be
       found at: http://ecos.sourceware.org/getstart.html
   0.3 Download the latest eCos sources
       It's recommended to download eCos from CVS, rather than the older 2.0
       release.
   1.0 Create the basic eCos configuration.  This involves
       a) selecting a target and environment template
       b) optionally modifying the eCos configuration
       c) generate a build tree
   2.0 Build your application, using make

For example, to build eCos for the iq80321 (ARM XScale board)
   % mkdir ecos_iq80321
   % cd ecos_iq80321
   % ecosconfig new iq80321 redboot
   % ecosconfig tree