[ECOS] Re: loading and executing an ELF image from flash.

Gary Thomas gary@mlbassoc.com
Sun Jul 9 22:41:00 GMT 2006

David Ho wrote:
> The reason I need to load an ELF image is because we have both
> internal RAM and external RAM in our system and we would like to place
> code in the critical path in internal RAM for faster access and leave
> the non-critical code in external RAM.
>
> Because the two regions cannot be made contiguous, I cannot load it as
> one binary image.
>
> Thanks, David
>
> On 7/7/06, David Ho <davidkwho@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thanks so much for all the help, I now have redboot running on my
>> custom board with flash support.
>>
>> The next step, which is one of my main objective is to be able to load
>> an ELF image from flash   to the corresponding RAM regions and have
>> redboot jump to the right entry point specified in the ELF header.
>>
>> I tried a simple _fis create_ of the ELF image to flash, but when I
>> did _fis load_ all it did was load the ELF image as is to RAM _Mem
>> addr_.  Is there currently a way to load an ELF image correctly?
>>
>> Thanks, David

There currently isn't a way to do this directly using the FIS commands.
That said, the new 'load' command structure can easily be extended for
any media, so it wouldn't be too hard to extend RedBoot to be able to
do something like this:
   RedBoot> lo -m flash image.elf