[ECOS] running ecos 2.0 on Excalibur

Fernando Herrera fherrera@teisa.unican.es
Tue Feb 28 11:05:00 GMT 2006

Warwick Brown wrote:

Thanks a lot for the document and your quick answer Warwick!,

(Sorry Warkwick, i think i sent this mail to you twice, first to your
private mail)

  I already had installed a cygwin from redhat site and the provided gnu
tools.
In fact, I am able to compile a configuration and the application
through these
tools. However i wondered if the gnupro tools provided by altera provided
additional or different features that those of redhat do not provide,
making
then posible to target applications in a right way. I was tryning to build
configurations and application using gnupro tools. If a get it ill will
report it.
On the other hand, if i did not missunderstand, the .epk package whose link
you provided should set a memory map and other defaults which should
work right with EPXA1, while the sources one can directly download from
ecos site are ready for EPXA10.

kind regards,
Fernando

> Fernando Herrera wrote:
>
>> Warwick Brown wrote:
>>
>> Hi Warwick,
>>
>>  thanks a lot for your quick answer. To be sincere it seems that you are
>> a bit forward than me. I got the quartus software to work in Windows and
>> i am tryint it to do it over Linux.
>> Respect to eCos, I am trying to solve a problem that appears when
>> several
>> cygwin versions are crossed in my system. One of them is relatively
>> new and
>> I installed it to have the wget command in order to download ecos
>> sources.
>> The other is the quartus own version. Now i am trying to compile an ecos
>> configuration with the gnu pro tools distributed with quartus
>> software. I
>> already compiled eCos configurations with the tools available at ecos
>> site.
>> However, from the experiments i did,  i suspect this does not work,
>> so i am
>> trying to do it with gnupro tools.
>>
>> I was not aware of the patch you mention, altough i suspected some kind
>> of modification of the port would be necessary. It is because the
>> current
>> port is only for EPXA10 board? It is actually necesary a patch?... I
>> will
>> keep you up to date if you want. If this is uninteresting for the
>> forum I can
>> do it with your mail if you want.
>>
>> regards
>>
>> fernando
>>

> Hi Fernando,
>
> I never bothered too much with the Quartus software, as I am more
> familiar with UNIX/Cygwin, but I found you did need Quartus installed
> to get the JTAG driver (which in itself is a pain to install, as you
> need to manually install the driver whilst the device is not connected).
>
> AFAIK the EPXA10 is significantly different to the EPXA1, which is why
> I used the patch. I found the quartus tools not very useful for
> building eCos. I've attached my how-to for installing cygwin, I hope
> it helps. The "excalibur" port is the EPXA10, and will at least have a
> different memory map to that of the EPXA1.
>
> If using the cvs sources, I found it preferable to use the configtool
> for applying the patch, and ecosconfig for the real configuration.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Warwick

Fernando Herrera
Microelectronics Engineering Group
E.T.S.I.Industriales y Telecom. TEISA Dpt.
University of Cantabria
Avda. Los Castros s/n, 39005
Santander, Spain
   fherrera@teisa.unican.es