[ECOS] eliminating redboot by including 'platform_setup' in default image?

vijay.peshkar@wipro.com vijay.peshkar@wipro.com
Thu Feb 23 10:47:00 GMT 2006

Andrew,

Thanks for the response.
$> Tried that. But then it had used flash addresses to run
$platform_setup
$> And executing this code by downloading failed.
$
$Yes, this is what you would expect. It is a ROM image after all!

:-(

$
$> Also, I do not have any tool to flash the image to flash(am using
$> multi-ice
$
$Then i suggest you do get a flash programmer.
$

Any pointers on the flash programmer that can be used for
ixp425 with strataflash?.

$You have the normal chicken/egg problem. In order to get
$software into the flash you need software running on the
$board. In order to get software running on the board you need
$something in flash. Using a flash programmer side steps this problem.
$
$The other option is to get your multi-ice to setup the RAM in
$the same way that a ROM application does when it starts up.
$You then need a RAM application with built in stubs and you
$might have something that runs.

The multi-ice does not come with a user friendly front end for doing
this.
I have tried configuring it for clock trigger etc., that's all.
But then I will still have to know on the 'things to do' or
'things redboot does' in ixp425 intialization sequence to move it to
Multi-ice. The 'Intel Xscale IXP42X developers manual' and
'intel-xscale-core-developers-manual' am refering right now does not
have any specifics on bootup.

$> Finally it would not be a good idea to do bsp porting by
$flashing the
$> test images?.
$
$Why not? A lot will depend on how fast your flash programmer
$is. If it takes 20 minutes than no, it is probably not
$practical. If it takes 1 minute than it is not a problem.

Yeah. You are right.
$
$I've helped with a port to the AT91SAM7S which i flashed every image.
$
$        Andrew
$