[ECOS] No joy on the network so far

Chuck McManis ecos@mcmanis.com
Wed Feb 15 12:14:00 GMT 2006

Well, its curiouser and curiouser ;-)

Ok, so I've got my new driver written. Started with the rhine driver but
pretty much replaced everything except the buffer handling code.

I added some instrumentation to see packets being transmitted as well as
packets being received. I've got tcpdump of course.

In order to simplify things I configured redboot to NOT use bootp and
instead merely assign the address 192.168.110.177 directly.

It does, and it comes up to the redboot prompt, but if I try to ping my
server (on the same subnet) it can't see it. Now tcpdump(8) can see my
target board send out an ARP request for the server, and it sees the
response. The printf's in the ethernet driver are showing that the ethernet
chip is seeing those packets as well and fetching them in the _recv()
function. But they never seem to make up into the networking stack where
they belong.

The weird thing is that with teh FXP driver configured this thing works
entirely as expected so I don't think there are issues with my repository
being out of date or something.

What information can I provide that might give someone a clue about what is
going on here?

--Chuck