[ECOS] VIA Rhine (was Re: [ECOS] Redboot and ethernet)

Chuck McManis cmcmanis@mcmanis.com
Mon Feb 13 08:37:00 GMT 2006

At 12:00 AM 2/13/2006, Andrew wrote:
>Have you looked at
>
>packages/devs/eth/sh/hs7729pci/current
>
>This is a hardware specific package to make the VIA Rhine run on an SH
>HS 7729. The Intel version should be very similar.

This was a major clue, I found the bug. The bug is that the Epia MII
Mini-ITX motherboard uses the HS6103 Phy and the MAC is integrated into the
VT8325 south bridge. Apparently it is derived from the Rhine chip but is
not the same as the Rhine chip.

The fact that it works partially suggests that the differences, while
significant, are manageable. I'll look into that, but it also means I will
have to create a separate node in the config tree for this driver. Sigh.

--Chuck