[ECOS] Modifying a board support package

Gary Thomas gary@mlbassoc.com
Wed Dec 6 12:05:00 GMT 2006

Paul D. DeRocco wrote:
> I'm working with an EB40A ARM7 eval board that is set up a little different
> from the way it was out of the box, and the configuration options for the
> standard HAL package don't cover the changes. My board has a slightly
> different flash memory, which requires a source code tweak, and has some
> extra SRAM soldered to the board, which isn't listed in the standard memory
> map.
>
> It looks like what I want to do is copy the packages/hal/arm/at91/eb40a tree
> to a different name, and make some changes to the source, headers, and CDL
> files. However, being new to this, it isn't obvious what else I need to do.
>
> 1) Should I put my modified HAL in an adjacent directory, like
> packages/hal/arm/at91/eb40a_mod? Or is it cleaner to put it somewhere
> completely different, under my home directory somewhere?
>
> 2) Regardless of where I put it, how do I get my new package to appear in
> the list of packages in the config tool?
>
> 3) And what specific change is needed to get it to put its temporary build
> files into foo_build/hal/arm/at91/eb40a_mod, rather than
> foo_build/hal/arm/at91/eb40a?

If your board is truly a derivative of a "standard" platform that's
already in eCos, I think it would be better to make additions, changes,
etc to the extant source files.  Simply make your changes depend on
CDL options.  Then you can pass them back to us and we'll incorporate
them into the public tree [if you so desire]

If you do choose to clone the platform, do it right alongside the
existing one as in 'packages/hal/arm/at91/eb40a_mod', but in my mind
this is a less desirable choice.  Read the 'porting guide' section
of the documentation for a complete step-by-step on how to do this.