[ECOS] Termios and waiting for character input

Gary Thomas gary@mlbassoc.com
Fri Aug 25 12:23:00 GMT 2006

Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> Gary Thomas wrote:
>> Jonathan Larmour wrote:
>>> Non-canonical mode processing was only implemented to support
>>> VMIN=0,TIME=0. Support for VMIN>0 is rudimentary and I wouldn't trust
>>> it. But VMIN defaults to 0, and that sample code posted doesn't
>>> attempt to set it to anything else.
>>>
>>> I imagine it defaults to something else on Linux, hence the
>>> difference in behaviour. <fx: goes and checks> Aha, in fact it
>>> defaults to 6. The POSIX standard does not set any requirements for
>>> the default value, so eCos is fine on this count.
>>
>> Thanks for looking into this.
>>
>> Perhaps we should make the default values for VMIN/VMAX configurable,
>> possibly with settings that match other systems?
>
> Maybe so if I had more confidence it worked! If Andre-John (or yourself)
> can play around with VMIN>0 and don't find any problems, then we could
> change the default for VMIN. NB there is no VMAX, but if you meant TIME,
> then TIME>0 is definitely unsupported in the current code.

It does work correctly (or at least the same as Linux) when VMIN=1.
If I set VMIN=6, then I have to type 6 characters before the first one is seen.
Perhaps that's where a setting of TIME>0 would matter...

At least we could have a way to default the value of VMIN and document
the fact that TIME>0 is not implemented (if not already in the docs)

Thanks