[ECOS] Are the HALs in the eCos repository meant for deployment?

Øyvind Harboe oyvind.harboe@zylin.com
Mon Aug 14 12:17:00 GMT 2006

On 8/14/06, Andrew Lunn <andrew@lunn.ch> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 01:54:45PM +0200, ?yvind Harboe wrote:
> > >
> > >Absolutely!  Every one that's in the repository is for some board or
> > >device that [at least at
> > >some time in the past] existed and the platform could be built and run
> > >with no software "tweaks".
> >
> > But are development/eval boards deployed? I would have thought that
> > largely microcontrollers would go on some custom PCB
>
> In my experiance, the hardware i've used for products is so nearly
> identical to the development board that i've been able to use the HAL
> unchanged. This is something i want, since during the two months it
> takes for the hardware people to design, layout, route it, get the PCB
> manufactured, get the components put on, power it up and put the fire
> out, turn the DRAM the right way around and fix the bugs in the reset
> logic, re-spin the board, make it run and finally put it on my desk, i
> want to be using the development board to do as much software
> development as possible.

Even for a board like the EB40a where the final product strictly
followed the schemtics of EB40a as closely as possible, I found that I
made the following changes:

- modifications to the EBI interface. There is no provision in the
EB40a HAL for configuring the EBI.
- The reset on the EB40a HAL does not reset external circuits(or even the flash)
- changes to memory layout

I.e. the eval board HAL could not be used unchanged. Copying the EB40a
HAL to a seperate repository and renaming was the way to go here.

--
Øyvind Harboe
http://www.zylin.com