[ECOS] Re: NIOS2 toolchain build failure under Cygwin

Øyvind Harboe oyvind.harboe@zylin.com
Wed Aug 9 08:14:00 GMT 2006

>> I believe I'm seing the same segmentation fault.
>>
>> Did you find a way to resolve this problem?
>
>Sort of:  Use Linux.

Cheat! :-)

>> My first thoughts was to try to revert to an older GCC version for
>> CygWin or worst case attempt a cross-build from Linux.
>
>I just switched to Linux.  Once I get everything else ironed
>out, I'll mess with Cygwin again (assuming my client really
>wants me to).

I disabled precompiled headers while configuring the toolchain. That
did the trick.

>Building eCos for NIOS2 is the biggest mess I've ever seen: A
>Shell script wrapper for a Java program that generates a CDL
>file that generates a shell script that generates a Perl script
>that calls a Java program that generates include files, etc.
>etc.
>
>What a pile.

I don't know why Altera thinks it needs to be that way.

Though I can see how a soft-CPU with a dynamic number of peripherals
would be a poor impeadance match with eCos static cdl files.

I never quite understood why eCos considers a specific HAL part of
eCos. I always viewed the HAL as part of the application. Although
final PCB's might strongly resemble a particular evaluation board, I
wouldn't expect it to be exactly like the evaluation board in the
general case. Never happened to me anyway. The stuff that can be
shared between HALs and that does not change between HALs seems to
belong(as in making the whole shebang more easily maintainable) in
eCos.

BTW, at first glance I couldn't even find eCos in the Nios2 6.0 beta.

--
Øyvind Harboe
http://www.zylin.com