[ECOS] RTAI vs eCos

R Vamshi Krishna vamshi@cse.iitb.ac.in
Mon Apr 17 16:05:00 GMT 2006

I am working towards making eCos a hard real-time kernel. i.e to say each
kernel primitive is deterministic and bounded by time.

But to find out what is currently making eCos being tagged as a soft
real-time system, I have reached a dead end.

Initially I thought that the way the threads are dequeued in semaphores
maybe an indicator. i.e the time to execute cyg_sem_signal() depends on
the no. of threads blocked. Since (I thought) it was not deterministic, I
tried to see RTAI's approach.

But RTAI instead enqueues, (PRIO_Q option) and this depends on no. of
tasks blocked.

Can someone tell my what makes RTAI a hard real-time RTOS and not eCos.
It will be really helpful.

--
Regards,
Vamshi