[ECOS] Re: DSR stops running after heavy interrupts. Spurious Interrupt!

Nick Garnett nickg@ecoscentric.com
Tue Apr 11 08:31:00 GMT 2006

"Joe Porthouse" <jporthouse@toptech.com> writes:

> Clearing this interrupt occurs if you read from the Receiver FIFO, set the
> FCR[RESETRF] bit or A NEW START BIT IS RECEIVED!!!
>
> So if the RX FIFO is below the trigger point and a timeout occurs an IRQ
> request is generated, but if a new start bit is detected the IRQ request is
> then immediately cleared. :(

That certainly sounds like the cause of your problems. It sounds like
there is no way to fix it without disabling the timeout interrupt. I'm
not sure whether it is a bug in the UART for cancelling an interrupt
it has raised, or a bug in the interrupt controller for not latching
interrupt requests. At least it seems to be a fairly narrow race
window, so isn't going to interfere with performance too much.

> Wow an interrupt that can clear its own IRQ request before service occurs!!!
> That would surely cause a Spurious Interrupt.
>
> If my conclusions are correct and I want don't want characters to hang out
> in my RX FIFO I will either need to:
> #1.  Stop using the UART FIFO.
> #2.  Poll the FIFO for trailing characters.
> #3.  Live with the Spurious Interrupts as a processor UART design issue.
>
> I will probably follow through with #3 by commenting out lien 951 and 952 in
> the /hal/arm/arch/current/src/vectors.S file.

That sounds like the best approach. I guess we ought to take a look at
making this a permanent feature.

--
Nick Garnett                                 eCos Kernel Architect
http://www.ecoscentric.com            The eCos and RedBoot experts