[ECOS] creating new HAL package

venkat ande venkat_ande@yahoo.com
Tue Sep 13 11:48:00 GMT 2005

Sir,

I have to port eCos on a new platform with processor
MPC860P (powerQUICC). I am using the ‘mbx’ package as
the base. The memory layout of my board is like this:

THE MEMORY MAP OF MPC860P BOARD
ChipSelect   Memory Type                 Address(hex)
               Data Bus      Bank Size
CS0--------------- FLASH-----------------------F800
0000 -F9FF FFFF----32 Bit ---------16Mbyte
CS1 --------------external register bank---0000 0000
-F000 FFFF-----32 Bit----------64Kbyte
CS2---------------external packet FIFO----F100 0000
-F103 FFFF-----32 Bit----------256Kbyte
CS3---------------SDRAM----------------------0000 0000
-07FF FFFF-----32 Bit----------64Mbyte
CS4-7-------------Not
used-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 -----------------Internal CPU memory------FF00 0000
-FF00 FFFF----32 Bit-----------64Kbyte

I changed “the mlt_powerpc_mbx_rom.ldi” to
“mlt_powerpc_newmbx_rom.ldi”, and this is the file
what I made, at present I am only considering the
‘RAM’ & ‘FLASH (ROM)’
#include <cyg/infra/cyg_type.inc>
MEMORY
{
    ram : ORIGIN = 0, LENGTH = 0x8000000
    rom : ORIGIN = 0xf8000000, LENGTH = 0x2000000
}
SECTIONS
{
    SECTIONS_BEGIN
    SECTION_sdram (ram, 0x00000000, LMA_EQ_VMA)
    SECTION_miniboot (rom, 0xf8000000, LMA_EQ_VMA)
    SECTION_application (rom, ALIGN (0x4), LMA_EQ_VMA)
    SECTIONS_END
}
 One more thing as ‘config tool v2.11’ is not having
the MLT editing tool, so I am using the
‘v.3.net’ for editing the MLT file. But after editing
and saving when I again open the file the
MLT window shows me its default layout not the new
layout what I made.

Actually on my board ‘Miniboot’ is already there, so I
thought to place ‘REDBOOT.srec’on
‘Miniboot’(as miniboot is able to load ‘.srec’ files).
Is it ok? or I have to replace miniboot by
redboot.

When I ported the ‘redboot.srec’ on it, the miniboot
started giving error like

“Unknown command”

While creating redboot for my ‘newmbx’ package I am
getting one more file ‘redboot.ppcbug’. When I port
this file to miniboot, it downloads it successfully
but it does not run the image.

I am doing so many experiment to port eCos on this
board. Before this I ported redboot on x86,
which was done successfully. Because there I need not
to create a new package for ‘x86pc’. But here in case
of MPC860P, I am not sure whether the new package what
I create is correct or not.

Please help me out.

Thanks & regards,
VENKAT KUMAR ANDE