[ECOS] GSM/GPRS/GPS board supporting eCos (Falcom XF55 or similar)

Andrew Greenberg andrew@psas.pdx.edu
Fri Sep 9 06:16:00 GMT 2005

>Assuming that the port is already done but they don't release the source,
>only a binary to link. Can this be done?

Seems like it should be possible! But this is a question for Falcom, not
for the eCos discussion list. It really depends on what tools, sources, and
APIs they give you... but I guarantee that it'll be hard to work with eCos
on that board, so you better hope they give you a binary interface to run
your own firmware.

>Are are my options in terms of other boards? Anyone?

Not many combo boards like that exist... and of those, I haven't seen any
that are programmable.

If it were me, then I'd purchase a commercial GPRS board and GPS board, and
tie them together (including the ability to literally power down both
boards) with a very low power microcontroller... or maybe an ARM running
eCos if you need TCP support.

If you want to help an open source project :) then you can use GPL-GPS
(http://gps.psas.pdx.edu/) as your GPS and microcontroller, and then all
you'll need is a serial to GPRS converter board which exist by the dozens
(just do a google search for "serial to gprs converter". Of course, that's
not exactly "lowest workload" option, since GPL-GPS is still under development.

- Andrew

Andrew Greenberg

Portland State Aerospace Society / PSU AESS
http://psas.pdx.edu/

Home:  503.788.1343
Fax:   503.777.5103
Email: andrew@psas.pdx.edu