[ECOS] Entry point of stack IP

Andrew Lunn andrew@lunn.ch
Tue Nov 29 10:15:00 GMT 2005

On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 10:15:28AM +0100, Birahim Larou Fall wrote:
> It is more like PPP/SLIP. The device is a modem (DOCSIS) used on numerical
> TV. Data are transmitted from/to host  to/from to slave using DOCSIS modem
> (TX/RX).  The host and the slave have each one a MAC and IP ADRESS.

If it has a MAC address then i sounds more like an ethernet than
PPP. Do you need ARP? Do you pass ethernet frames or IP packets?

If your interface uses raw IP packets then it will plug in differently
than if it uses ethernet frames.

Basicaly, you want to take a look at the ethernet infrastructure in
packages/io/eth/current/src/net/eth_drv.c which goes between the
ethernet drivers and the bottom of the stack, and packages/net/ppp and
look at how it interfaces to the stack. I also think you will need to
spend some time getting familiar with the network stack.

        Andrew