[ECOS] i386 problem

Gonçalo Antunes gmma@gmma.net
Tue May 3 10:37:00 GMT 2005

Thank you, Mr. Nick Garnett.
I will try to do what you said.
I will now try to start using Redboot during the development.

Thank you again.

Gonçalo Antunes.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nick Garnett" <nickg@ecoscentric.com>
To: "Gonçalo Antunes" <gmma@gmma.net>
Cc: <ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 11:14 AM
Subject: Re: [ECOS] i386 problem

Gonçalo Antunes <gmma@gmma.net> writes:

> Hello again!
>
> I tried to start with a plain net template, changed the HAL_STARTUP to
> FLOPPY and the error on the "make tests" is the same:
>
> >> /home/gmma/config_install/lib/vectors.o:/tmp/ccfRQjJM.s: undefined
> >> reference
> >> to 'hal_saved_interrupt_state'
> >> make: leaving directory '/home/gmma/config_build'
> >> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>

> If I put it to RAM, it works fine...
>
> When I first installed ecos (without any CVS update), the FLOPPY
> startup worked fine...
>
> What can I do?

The main problem seems to be with the profiling support that Bart
added in March. I'll leave him to decide what to do about it in the
repository, but in the interim you could try moving the

#endif  // CYGPKG_PROFILE_GPROF

in hal_misc.c to just after the

#endif // SMP

I've not tried this, so I have no idea whether it will work.

However, FLOPPY startup only allows for applications that occupy the
lower 640k of RAM. Given all the packages you want to load, you may
find this a bit of a squeeze. You would be better off using the GRUB
startup type for large stand-alone programs, since these get loaded
into RAM above the 1Mb boundary.

During development, you should be using RedBoot and load RAM
applications. You should only switch to FLOPPY or GRUB startup when
you are ready to turn in to a product, not before.

--
Nick Garnett                                     eCos Kernel Architect
http://www.ecoscentric.com                The eCos and RedBoot experts