[ECOS] Best way to do a flash memory dump to host from target?

Andrew Greenberg andrew@uad.com
Wed Mar 30 06:08:00 GMT 2005

Hi all,

I've got RedBoot running in RAM on a remote target and before I write a ROM
version to flash I'd like to capture the existing flash memory so I can "go
back" if I ever want to.

1. the stock RedBoot I built doesn't seem to have any facilities for this;
there's 'load' which allows me to load in file via x/y modem, but is there
a package I can add that will give me a 'send' so that I can send a memory
chunk via x/y modem back to the host?

2. I can do a minicom capture of dump -b <address> -l <length> -s which
will give me the s-record listing and then use objcopy to convert that to a
binary... but yeech, that's a twisted way to get it.

3. Finally, it looks like in gdb I can say 'dump binary memory <filename>
<start address> <stop address>. I've done this a few times, and it seems
like it works, but I often get error message from gdb about invalid packets
which makes me a bit worried that the data is being corrupted. Is this what
most people do?

Any feedback on the "best" way to do this?

Thanks!

Andrew