[ECOS] Running ECOS on a SPARC with less than 8 register windows

Michael Cowell michael.cowell@g2microsystems.com
Fri Mar 4 04:42:00 GMT 2005

Hi,

I'm interested in using ECOS on a LEON2 SPARC processor running on an
FPGA development system. Using the LEON2 port of ECOS I have succeeded
in running all the tests in the source tree, and they all pass. However,
if I configure and synthesize my processor with less than 8 register
windows all of the tests fail. The function in which they fail varies
depending on the particular test, and sometimes the PC appears to be set
to garbage (i.e. outside of memory). Clearly the handler for the
register overrun trap does not expect a system with such a small number
of registers (am I wrong about this?).

The eventual application for the software is not the FPGA system, but an
embedded low power device, and the large register file required for 8
register windows is a significant problem.

Has anyone run ECOS on a SPARC with less than 8 register windows (the
SPARC architecture specification allows as little as 2)? Or, does anyone
know what I will have to modify in the HAL code to implement the correct
behavior in this situation?

Thanks,

Michael Cowell