[ECOS] Using Wiggler hardware from Macgregor to connect to JTAg interface

Paul D. DeRocco pderocco@ix.netcom.com
Sat Aug 20 02:08:00 GMT 2005

> From: baljeet singh
>
> I have been using the Wiggler hardware from
> Macgregor for downloading applications on the
> Atmel EB40 board using the JTAG port. It is much
> faster then using the serial port. Everything
> works fine as long as the board is setup to power
> up in NON Redboot mode (This board has a switch
> to select between Redboot or Angel monitor/boot
> loader from Atmel). If I boot it in Redboot mode,
> applications can't run.
> Has anybody any experience with the Wiggler
> device?

Isn't it true, also, that when debugging via JTAG, you don't have access to
the thread-related debugging commands, and you can't do diagnostic writes to
the debug console?

It seems to me that JTAG debugging is really only appropriate for debugging
startup code, when Redboot services haven't been initialized anyway. If you
want full eCos debugging via something faster than a serial port, Ethernet
would be the way to go. I'd be tempted to wire up some off-the-shelf
Ethernet chip on a daughterboard, if I was condemned to do a lot of
debugging on the EB40.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco