[ECOS] cyg_cond_t or cyg_semaphore_t

Nick Garnett nickg@ecoscentric.com
Thu Apr 28 15:10:00 GMT 2005

<maillist@ing-monteleone.com> writes:

> I have some confusion about the use of Cyg_cond_varable_t or
> cyg_semaphore_t. I cannot see a real difference from high-level
> point of view ....
>
> Someone can explain to me the real differences ?

Semaphores are a stand-alone synchronization mechanism.

Condition variables are part of a synchronization mechanism that also
includes mutexes. Essentially they allow a thread that owns a mutex to
put itself to sleep and release the mutex atomically. Not something
you could do any other way.

--
Nick Garnett                                     eCos Kernel Architect
http://www.ecoscentric.com                The eCos and RedBoot experts