[ECOS] Help with loading kernel on i386

SSG sg21@QSolv-inc.com
Tue Apr 19 02:16:00 GMT 2005

Hi Guys,
I am working with redboot on a i386 PC. I'm attempting to
load and run a bzImage from the redboot prompt.
redboot boots up fine and gives this message.
RAM: 0x000000-0x000a0000, [0x0008acd0-0x000a0000]
available

I am able to load the kernel image with
redboot> load -r -b %{FREELOMEM} bzImage
This throws a lot of multi coloured garbage on the
screen, perhaps I loaded the image into the video mem
area. Then if I attempt to execute this the PC simply
reboots. I have patched in Ian Campbell "Linux" command
for exececuting the linux kernel.

As per the man page for the exec command. The kernel
expects to be loaded at a specific address for each
platform. What is that address for an i386 ?

When I built redboot there were couple of values used by
the configtool
>ecosconfig new pc redboot
U CYGSEM_HAL_USE_ROM_MONITOR new inferred value 0
U CYGIMP_HAL_COMMON_INTERRUPTS_USE_INTERRUPT_STACK new inf
val 0
I appreciate any help.
Thanks,
SSG