[ECOS] How to load redboot_ROM in to flash

Nick Garnett nickg@ecoscentric.com
Thu Sep 2 10:47:00 GMT 2004

"Prabhat Shrivastav" <shrivastavp@myw.ltindia.com> writes:

> And my redboot_RAM is reside at 0x8c020000 SIZE : 0x20000 ,so I had selected the  RAM
> address 0x8c080000 for redboot_ROM.bin .But as you said ,I had tested with mfill command
> at 0x8c080000, its failed.
> It gives message : ** command abort - illegal memory access?
> I am unable to get this why this memory has blocked . May this is blocked or reserved for
> some other purpose.

The message indicates that the CPU is getting a memory access
exception. Is there really memory at this address? RedBoot's idea of
the address range may be wrong. Is the memory controller set up
properly? Is there a memory management unit that may be
interfering? You will have to investigate the specific hardware and
system setup to work out what is actually happening.

I don't know enough about this platform or the SH3 to suggest anything
else.

> One more thing: Even though if try to load the redoot_ROM.bin file to 0x8c047278 or
> %[FREEMEMELO] with "load -r -b 0x8c047278 -m xmodem" command I an unable to load
>  into RAM .But if I use mfill at 0x8c047278 I able to fill the memory.

You can use mfill to work out the address at which it starts to
fail. This may give you a clue as to how much memory you actually
have.