[ECOS] IP configuration

sandeep shimple0@yahoo.com
Wed Oct 13 08:59:00 GMT 2004

>>>3.0 Now I wanted to run the client application on the board and server on
>>my linux host. But the "connect" system fails when connecting to linux
>>machine saying "No route to host".
>
> No route to host either means there is not route to the host!, or the
> host is not replying to ARP requests. Run tcpdump/etherreal etc and
> see if there are any packets coming out of the device. Check your
> default route makes sense.

had a similar problem (not in workplace) last month when trying to mount an NFS
exported directory from one linux machine (say exporter) on another linux
machine (say mounter). mounting used to fail with same message "No route to
host" . We checked the routing table - it was fine.  mounter could mount
exported directories from other machines though.
I don't remember it now, perhaps ping or some other utility we tried then used
to give 'unreachability' messages for exporter.
finally we tried tcpdump on mounter and found that some transactions were
happening b/w exporter and mounter. they couldn't have happened if there was
problem with routing/dns etc.
on further investigation we found the source of problem - the mounter had a
linux distro (from one of the computer magazine CDs) installed and had some
default application running with default settings. if i remember it correctly,
it was iptables. we updated the default configuration to one for the setup and
things worked fine.

above experience might help you. examine the settings at your linux end
(server). tcpdumping at linux end will help you

--
regards
sandeep