[ECOS] synthetic target & permanent redboot installation

Andrew Lunn andrew@lunn.ch
Mon Nov 15 10:08:00 GMT 2004

On Sun, Nov 14, 2004 at 11:20:41AM -0800, yrusli@ucsd.edu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for the long email. I have 2 questions here:
>
> 1. I try to build a synthetic target. So I follow the instruction in the
> reference section of ecos and also the README.host file. My computer uses
> Windows XP. So this is what I did (from cygwin):
> - $ mkdir build
> - $ cd build
> - $ <path>/configure (I change the path to the hal directory that contains
> the configure)
> - go to build directory
> - $ make
> - $ make install
>
> After that, I try to typed in $ ecos_hello in the cygwin window, but it
> says it doesn't recognize that command. Am I doing something wrong in
> here?

configure is used to build the host tools. Its not normally needed to
build these, you can just download them all pre-build. See
http://ecos.sourceware.org/getstart.html

To build the eCos library see:

http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/user-guide/ecos-user-guide.html

> Also, am I correct that I can just skip saving windows CE environment step
> & just install redboot permanently? The worst thing that will happen is
> that I won't be able to return back to windows CE, isn't it? But the
> activesync or other functionalities will still work?

activesync or other functions are provided by WinCE, so when you
destroy WinCE you destroy these applications as well.

        Andrew