[ECOS] debugging with gdb

Will Wagner will_wagner@carallon.com
Thu Nov 11 17:46:00 GMT 2004

I have an A&MViper powerpc860 board up and running. I am currently
investigating debugging options. The board has redboot on it with gdb stubs.

If I configure ecos not to have a network stack then I can connect to
the board with gdb over the network and download, run and debug my test
app. If I build ecos with network support it doesn't work as when the
code is run it initialises the network which obviously resets the
connection to gdb.

Is there a way to prevent this from happening? I assume not. I could
presumably do the same but use the serial port although I don't want to
do it as it will be slow and I need the serial port for other things.

So I was looking at debugging with a BDM. There don't sem to be many
docs on doing this, does anyone know of any good resources? What BDM
device would anyone recommend and are there any reference gdbinit
scripts for setting up powerpc/860?

Many thanks,

Will Wagner