[ECOS] Problem Installing CVS eCos

Eric Castle ecastle@umich.edu
Sat May 29 21:11:00 GMT 2004

Thanks, we eventually figured out what the difference was.  So, the
configure script and everything is for building the tools.  This is really
optional, considering there are pre-built ones that work fine in the 2.0
release.

And to just use more recent eCos files, we just switched the repository to
use the CVS files (either in our bash shell for ecosconfig, or in the
drop-down menu for the configtool).

-Eric

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Koninckx [mailto:bob.koninckx@o-3s.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2004 4:45 PM
To: Eric Castle
Cc: ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: [ECOS] Problem Installing CVS eCos

On Tue, 2004-05-25 at 16:40, Eric Castle wrote:
> Hello,
>
> At the advice of Bob Koninckx, we're currently trying to get the latest
> anonymous CVS repository to work.  We seem to be doing something wrong
when
> we run the configure script from it, though, in that when we run "make",
> none of the make files actually build anything.
>
> Here's what we did:
>
> 1. Downloaded the CVS eCos stuff into a folder called cvs-ecos per the
> instructions on the webpage.

You checked it out, right?
something like

cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@sources.redhat.com:/cvs/ecos login
cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@sources.redhat.com:/cvs/ecos co ecos

[check the paths on the website...]

> 2. Set the path according to the instructions on the webpage for the eCos
> repository.
> 3. Made a "build" directory within cvs-ecos, switched into there.

Better make a build directory _outside_ the source tree.

> 4. Ran configure as follows:
> 	../ecos/configure --prefix=/usr/local/ecos --enable-debug

you do not need the configure script for building eCos, only for
building the tools. These are much easier downloaded from ecoscentric.
Instructions on how to do this are on the website.

> We tried some variants on this, with setting the prefix to ".", and not
> including it. We also tried including paths and version to tcl, but
> according to the README.host that comes with it, our install is exactly
> where is should be.

construct your ecos makefiles using ecosconfig or configtool (which you
just downloaded from CVS).

> The trouble we have is when we run "make", nothing actually happens.
>
> Can anyone suggest what we've missed?

Basically, there is _no_ difference in _using_ eCos from CVS or from an
official release. The only difference lies in the fact that your using
much more up-to-date eCos source files.