[ECOS] Re: building redboot with eCos kernel

Savin Zlobec savin@elatec.si
Fri May 21 15:03:00 GMT 2004

Nick Garnett wrote:

>Michael Jastrebtsoff <jam2000@pisem.net> writes:
>
>> Hello, All.
>>
>> I need to build Redboot with FAT support. But FAT requires eCos
>> kernel.
>>
>> I try build Redboot with eCos kernel, but this don't work.(when i
>> connected to redboot via terminal, i'v  got a random chars on screen.)
>
>The FAT filesystem will not work in RedBoot since it requires too many
>kernel facilities to work. You cannot put the kernel into RedBoot
>since RedBoot is intended to be a stand alone application, there are
>just too many assumptions for this to work.

There shouldn't be a lot do to get fatfs into RedBoot - all I can think of
right now is the cyg_mempool_* api which is not available in nonkernel
configurations.

>The only use that RedBoot would have for FAT filesystem support is to
>load executables. So a simple read-only loader similar to the one that
>already exists for ext2 would be a better solution.

This has already beed done - check The DODES project at
http://www.m17n.org/dodes/ecos/index.en.html.

savin