[ECOS] help! redboot console

Paul D. DeRocco pderocco@ix.netcom.com
Mon May 10 03:13:00 GMT 2004

> From: kneep
>
> 	Does endian affect the byte order of a STRING?

When an object file is loaded, the data in it are loaded 32 bits at a time,
not a byte at a time, so any disagreement between the order will show up as
reversed bytes within each 32-bit word.

> 	And I confirm that Redboot is compiled as big-endian and my
> machine is running big-endian because everything goes well except
> that problem.
> 	So what will the point be?

Don't know. But it sure smells like a big-endian/little-endian problem. You
say you're running a RAM-based redboot. Does that mean that you're using
something else to load redboot? If so, does that support big-endian mode?

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco