[ECOS] NIC support for x86 PC using dp83815 ethernet controller needed

Kevin S. Martin ksmartin@fnal.gov
Thu Mar 11 21:40:00 GMT 2004

Hey,

I'm trying to get redboot (and eCos) to run on a x86 PC (Diamond
System's Hercules EBX). It uses a dp83815 ethernet controller. I see
that there is some support for the dp83816. But this seems to be for use
in a different architecture (PPC?).

What needs to be changes for it to work under i386?

I can build a redboot.bin using the i386 template redboot package. I can
boot the system(using a floppy disk) with this binary but of course it
doesn't find a NIC because the default NIC is a i82559. I then remove
the default ethernet controller (i82559) packages and add the dp83816
package:

[root@bdeelinux packages]# ecosconfig --config=redboot.ecc check
Target: pc
Template: redboot
Added:
 CYGPKG_IO_ETH_DRIVERS
 CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_NS_DP83816
Removed:
 CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_INTEL_I82559
 CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_I386_PC_I82559
No conflicts

After doing this, redboot still doesn't find a NIC. Has anyone else used
a dp83816 or dp83815 on PC?

Thanks.

--
Kevin S. Martin