[ECOS] Re: eCos on 80186?

Grant Edwards grante@visi.com
Thu Jun 24 03:45:00 GMT 2004

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 10:34:52PM -0400, Paul D. DeRocco wrote:

> If you can find an old copy of Borland C++ Builder or earlier,
> you could see what happens when you try to feed some eCos code
> through it. My guess is that you'll have the biggest headaches
> with the makefiles, rather than the C.

Firstly, why would changing C compilers cause make to break?
The compiler flags are completely user-configurable with the
config tool, so I see no reason why there should be any problem
with makefiles.

Secondly, there are going to be problems with the C -- and with
the C++.  eCos uses a number of GCC and binutils extensions.

Ones that come readily to mind are:

 * Prioritized constructors for C++ objects.

 * "section" attributes and section sorting used to place
    objects located in different source files into contiguous
    tables in memory in specified order.

 * Link-time garbage collection used to discard unused
   functions and variables.

You can probably find work-arounds for such things, but it's
going to be a bit of work.