[ECOS] RedBoot for the i386 PC platform

Muna Hummady muna_hummady@yahoo.com
Sun Jul 18 08:09:00 GMT 2004

--- Nick Garnett <nickg@ecoscentric.com> wrote:
> Muna Hummady <muna_hummady@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > Hello
> > I'm trying to build eCos v2.0 on Linux 7.3 and
> then
> > building RedBoot for the i386 PC platform. I have
> some
> > problems:
> > 1. I’m building the eCos v1.3.1 and run the
> examples
> > programs under the host target. But, as you know
> that
> > the eCos v1.3.1 source code doesn’t supplied with
> > RedBoot. When I’m building eCos v2.0 I couldn’t
> run
> > any example program on the host target. A message
> > appears in the command line (segmentation fault).
>
> Don't even think about using v1.3.1, v2.0 or later
> is what you should
> be using.
>
> What do you mean by running programs on the host
> target? Programs
> built for the PC target expect to run on a bare PC,
> not under
> Linux. The synthetic target allows you to do that.
>

> > 2.	I couldn’t load any example program to the
> remote
> > target and then debug it. I’m using the serial
> > communication between the host and remote targets.
>
> Does RedBoot start up on your target machine? Does
> it put out its
> banner and prompt on the serial line you are using?
> If not, then make
> that work first.
>
> --
> Nick Garnett                    eCos Kernel
> Architect
> http://www.ecoscentric.com/     The eCos and RedBoot
> experts
>
> 1- when building the eCos v2 under Linux and trying
to build the makefile (under the examples directory)by
choosing the compiler is i686-linux-pc-gnu-gcc (which
is for the synthetic target).
the build is done but when running anyone of the
example files, a segmentation fault message apears in
the command line tool.
2- I'm follow the procedure for building RedBoot and
build the redboot.bin successfully. But when i'm
trying to build the example files (by editing the
makefile with the compiler i386-elf-gcc) a message
appears in the command line tool telling that an error
in the bist() function in the main.c file .
                              thanks
                              Muna M. Hummady