[ECOS] Support for Motorola MCF5282

Alex Schuilenburg alexs@ecoscentric.com
Mon Jan 26 14:13:00 GMT 2004

Peter Graf wrote:

> Alex Schuilenburg wrote:
>
>> Michael Christmann wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I would like to use eCos with a Motorola MCF5282.
>>>
>>> Is there someone who has experience with the MCF5282 (or MCF5272) and
>>> eCos?
>>>
>>> (When I read
>>> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/ecos-discuss/2003-08/msg00286.html it
>>> sounds like there is only a commercial version which is usable - is
>>> this true?)
>>
>> Yes, this is true.
>
> Just out of curiosity, not as criticism: How does that correspond to the
> license? I presume CPU support is part of eCos itself, so everyone could
> ask for the sources for no more than the copying charge. Or are these
> ports directly from the eCos copyright holders, using a second license
> for eCosPro? If so, what is the eCosPro license?

eCosPro is made up of a number of different components that are released
under different licenses:
   * eCos 2.0 license (GPL+exception)
   * Modified BSD license
   * eCosPro license
   * Eclipse license

This means that if you are a recipient of a binary using eCos or
eCosPro, you are entitled to ask for the eCos sources that are licensed
under the eCos 2.0 license only.  In practice this means the eCos kernel
and components as well as any platform or processor HAL components that
were derived from other components which were released under the eCos
2.0 license.

For the other portions of eCosPro (i.e. the sources which are licensed
under a modified BSD license or the eCosPro license) there are no
requirements to provide the source code of these components to
recipients of any binaries.  This will include clean-room eCos HALs and
device drivers as well as other proprietary *additions* (e.g. custom
device drivers such as SPI and MMC device drivers, code coverage
analysis support, Eclipse/CDT plug-ins, etc).

For the eCosPro sources which fall under the eCos 2.0 license, these are
made available on a per request basis by eCosCentric.

The eCosPro license simply allows you to distribute eCosPro binaries
without license fees or royalties but prohibits you from distributing
the eCosPro-licensed sources outside your organisation (without prior
written consent from eCosCentric).  When you purchase eCosPro, the
eCosPro license is obviously included.

-- Alex

--
Managing Director / CEO                           eCosCentric Limited
http://www.ecoscentric.com/              The eCos and RedBoot experts