[ECOS] PowerPC mnemonics

Peter Graf p.graf@itknet.de
Mon Jan 26 13:03:00 GMT 2004

Nick Garnett wrote:

>Peter Graf <p.graf@itknet.de> writes:
>

>>>The actual instruction set mnemonics should match, I've certainly not
>>>noticed any differences.
>>>

>>Just a few quick examples: lwi, lis, li are not in the Motorola manual.
>>Vice versa I also tried some mnemonics from the Motorola manual, which
>>GCC wouldn't accept.
>>

>lwi is a macro defined in arch.inc, lis and li are simplified
>mnemonics defined in appendix F of the Programming Environments
>manual. I'll agree that it is annoying that really useful information
>like this is hidden away in an appendix, but that's IBM for you :-/

Indeed. I used Z80, 68K, SH and even some DSP assembly languages, but
they all seem peaceful compared to this mess.

>I would be interested to know what Motorola mnemonics are missing. Not
>that we could do anything about it, this is would be a matter for the
>GCC team to fix.

IIRC it was a specific conditional branch notation. At the moment I'm
not able to reproduce, I'll keep you updated if I come across it again.
BTW I'm back to eCos after some (partially failed) experiments with
RTAI/LXRT. eCos is still the best ;-)

Peter